Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao Tzu


Big things sometimes scare me. I have been somewhat nomadic since childhood, moving in and out of places, schools, lives. Those "big things", those enduring, permanent, lasting, forever type things can be intimidating for me. But then, you break it down, and realize that those big things all started somewhere with something small, simple, easy. Just a single step . . . . hence the title.

Just a single step . . . and I found myself treading down the road to become a surgeon. Sometimes i stumbled, sometimes ran, sometimes I tip-toed, sometimes strutted, and sometimes (well, probably lots of times) I stomped. There were some timid steps, some backward steps, some quick steps, and a few of the all important "first steps."

Tomorrow I take the first step on a big adventure in Mongolia. It is probably the most remote part of the world I have ever visited. I have been reading a bit about Mongolia, the history of this strong, conquering people, and their nomadic culture. I am intriqued. I know it will be like no other place I have ever been. I am sure that i will once again, learn more than i teach and gain more than I give. While internet access will be spotty at best, I will try to post when I get service.

so here i go - one foot in front of the other . . .

4 comments:

Kevin and Katie Hulett said...

awesome yoda, all the best

Rickster said...

Best of luck in your travels Suzanne...will be quite the experience -- a once in a lifetime. I look forward to reading your posts. As Casey Casem used to say in his top 40 countdown -- "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars."....Be safe.

dcr said...

This makes me remember your first step. . . .and now, as then. . . I wish you a joyful adventure. . .with my love.

Unknown said...

Hard to think you are scared of anything; you are such a caring and determined woman. I have no doubt that everyone there will fall in love with you. Be safe don't like it to much, we still need and want you here :)